Dr. Asad Ata is an Associate Professor at the Malaysia Institute for Supply Chain Innovation (MISI). He is also a Research Affiliate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Cambridge, USA.
Dr. Ata’s areas of research and interest include Supply Chain Network Design, Optimization and Supply Chain Finance. He is the Director of Center for Sustainable Value Networks (CSVN) at MISI where he works with SMEs and Small Farmers designing supply chains that socially responsible, environmentally sustainable and economically viable. He has worked extensively with food and agricultural supply chains with Multi-National Corporations, NGOs, government organizations and agencies such as United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and SWIFT.
Prior to joining academia he worked for twelve years on Supply Chain IT, Telecom and e-Commerce projects with various companies. His teaching interests build on this work experience and include topics in Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Information Systems, Analytics and Systems Optimization.
Dr. Ata received his Ph.D. in 2011 from Southern Methodist University Dallas TX, USA in Operations Research, Master in Computer Science from Arizona State University Tempe AZ, USA and Bachelor of Architecture (Honors) from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India.
- Ata Asad, Shukla Manish and Singh Mahender, Financing SME Value Chains, MIT Global SCALE Working Paper (17-01), February 2017
- Hashmi A. Sara, Zhang Weiwei and Ata Asad, Performance Metrics for Food & Beverage Supply Chains, MIT SCALE Research Report: MISI-2016-5, May 2016
- Ata Asad, Shukla Manish and Singh Mahender, Financing SME Supply Chain in Asia, SWIFT Institute Working Paper No. 2012-002, SIBOS, 2015
- Ata Asad, Bridging the Finance Gap for Asian SMEs, MIT Supply Chain Frontiers #51, November 2013
- Ata Asad, Can India’s Rural Farms flourish in World Markets? MIT Supply Chain Frontiers #47, November 2012
- Ata Asad, SMEs and the Supply Chain Management Challenge, SME Magazine Asia, September 2012
- Ata Asad, Supply Chain and SMEs, World SME NEWS ISSN 0973-1261, World Association for Small and Medium Enterprises (WASME), June 2012
- Ata Asad, Small Businesses Play a Big Role in Asia, MIT Supply Chain Frontiers #45, April 2011
- Chester G. Chambers, Eli M. Snir and Ata Asad, The Use of Flexible Manufacturing Capacity in Pharmaceutical Product Introductions, Decision Sciences Journal, Volume 40 Issue 2, Pages 243 – 268, May 2009