Wednesday, April 11th @ Sasana Kijang KL 12:00PM – 6:00PM
The retail sector in Malaysia and the ASEAN countries is on the verge of a monumental transformation. Currently, e-commerce accounts for barely five percent of all retail sales in Malaysia and other ASEAN countries, a small fraction compared to 10-to-25 percent e-commerce retail penetration observed in countries like China, U.K., and the U.S. This is likely to change with the entry of the global e-commerce behemoths Alibaba and Amazon in Malaysia and Singapore to fuel their growth, complemented by the creation of supporting infrastructure through the initiative like Malaysia’s Digital Free Trade Zone. As observed in leading markets globally, the retail sector is transforming not just from brick-and-mortar to e-commerce, but to an omnichannel setting that merges the physical and virtual marketplaces.
This paradigmatic change in Malaysia’s retail sector poses several questions:
- How would this transformation affect Malaysia’s retail sector?
- How should the brick-and-mortar retailers, both large and small, prepare for this New Retail Environment?
- How should e-commerce retailers position themselves, considering the shopping habits of Malaysian consumers and the existence of a vast, world-class physical retail infrastructure?
- How should logistics service providers adapt their network and services?
- What roles can IT companies and technology entrepreneurs play?
- What should government agencies do to facilitate this transformation to achieve most consumer good?
Questions abound but the answers are not clear. This conference brings together a group of distinguished practitioners with deep experience in the retail sector to shed light on these and related questions.
- Learn about exploiting strengths of the physical and online channels
- Learn strategies for combining physical and virtual stores
- Learn techniques for transforming the organization to adapt to the new retail environment
Exec. Vice President, Logistics (Ret)
Bain & Company
Zakki Abdul Jabbar
Founder and CEO
Shah Suriye Ruben
Nurezali bin Osman
Strategy and Industry Development
Ms. Amy Blair
Founder and CEO
The Batik Boutique
12:00 Registration, Refreshments
13:00 Opening remarks
13:10 The New Retail: What does e-commerce mean for retail?
- 13:15-13:35: E-commerce from the perspective of brick-and-mortar retailers (Keynote address: Chris Sultemeier)
- 13:40-14:00: Entering retail market as an e-commerce company (Keynote address: Shah Suriye Ruben)
- 14:05-14:25: Finance and supply chain implications of e-commerce for brick-and-mortar retailers (Keynote address: Szilard Brenner)
- 14:30-15:20: Panel discussion: Strengths and weaknesses of brick-and mortar, online, and omnichannel retail
15:20 Refreshments (video of MISI retail research in background)
15:40 Transformation: How to transition to e-commerce enabled retail?
- 15:45-16:05: Lessons of organizational transformation to adapt to the new environment (Keynote address: Emmanuel Coucke)
- 16:10-16:30: Government initiatives to aid transition to the new retail environment (Keynote address: Nurezali bin Osman)
- 16:35-16:55: Information technology solutions for SME retailers to go online (Speakers: Zakki Jabbar, Amy Blair)
- 17:00-17:50: Panel discussion: Techniques for transforming organizations to omnichannel retail
17:50 Concluding remarks
18:00 Refreshments and adjourn
Who should attend?
- Retail firms, logistics service providers: CEOs and owners, middle and senior executives of strategy, supply chain, marketing, operations, and logistics
- FMCG companies: middle and senior executives in sales and marketing, strategy, supply chain management
- Entrepreneurs interested in retail supply chains
- IT service providers and consultants with focus on retail operations
- Executives and planners from government agencies supporting retail, SMEs, technology
- Academics with research interest in retail supply chains
Conference fees (per attendee)
Lower “early-bird” rates are available for registration by April 8.
- Regular registration: RM 500 (Early bird: Rm 450)
- Group registration (3 or more from same organization): RM 450 (Early bird: RM 400)
- Members of MISI Research Partners: RM 450 (Early bird: RM 400)
*Please attached online receipt together with registration form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org to complete your registration.
Sasana Kijang, 2, Jalan Dato Onn, 50480 Kuala Lumpur.